At Henderson Elementary School, we believe that partnering with parents on their child’s education will only increase and strengthen the learning happening at home and at school. Several opportunities are available to parents in hopes of connecting every parent to their child’s education and the school community. In addition to programs and event to help parents connect to their child's edcuaiton, a Parent Liaison is also available at Henderson. The Parent Liaison is available to help parents navigate the school system and support parents and school staff in their interactions if needed. For more information on any of these programs, or to speak to the Parent Liaison please call 608-442-2963.
- Parent Ambassadors: As new families join the Henderson Community after the beginning of the school year, we have a group of parents that will reach out to these families and welcome them to our school.
- PLT (Parent Leadership Team): The PLT is a group of parents who gather to support and plan events for families. Fundraising and event planning are the two most prominent tasks as well as fulfilling grants for teachers to enhance their classrooms for our students.
- Family Fun Nights: In partnership with MSCR (Madison School and Community Recreation), we offer Family Fun Nights throughout the school year. Usually the format includes dinner, fun for kids, and a workshop for parents. Check the Henderson Calendar for a list of dates.
- Henderson Facebook Page: With the presence of social media in our culture today, Henderson’s Facebook page is certainly a great way for parents to receive up-to-date information about Henderson and the surrounding community as well as about being a parent in general.
- Henderson News: Each month the Henderson News is published. This newsletter gives families information about events and programs happening at the school. This helps keep parents who cannot come into the school building or who are not connected with technology, fully informed about their child’s school community.
- Tutoring: Through the School of Hope Project and United Way, community members and interested parents can choose to spend a ½ hour per week with a student and tutor them in reading or math. This program helps specific students get the extra one-on-one attention that they need to progress to the next academic level.
- Watch D.O.G.S.: Created by fathers.com, the National Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) program is for fathers and father-figures to spend a day at school volunteering in their child’s classroom. This program gets men more involved in their child’s education as well as helping to be a positive role model for all students at the school.
- Family Resource Center: Beginning in the 2014-2015 school year, there will be a Family Resource Center in room 122 at Henderson. Families can stop by to have a cup of coffee or to choose from parent resources, children’s books on various topics, and activity packs for fun parent-child interaction at home.
- Community Partnerships: Henderson has active partnerships with several area organizations. DATCP (Department of Agriculture Technology and Consumer Protection), Lake Edge United Church of Christ, and Unity of Madison all help Henderson with fundraising, school supplies, garden maintenance, field trips, tutors, volunteers, and other special projects throughout the school year. Other groups that help volunteer for events are Latino Club and Black Student Union students from LaFollette High School.